Wednesday 19 August 2009

Sperm under the Microscope

Yesterday my wife and I were watching a television programme about 'The secrets of the cell and of life itself', the programme discussed the improvement in Microscopes and had a section on a rather ingenious linen merchant called Antony van Leeuwenhoek. Amongst his studies and discoveries were blood cells, bacteria, and also sperm cells. The host of the programme procured his own sperm, and looked at it down an antique microscope.

Now, something I wondered for some time, what magnification do you need to see Sperm cells?

A cheap Microscope from a toy shop can be had for £25 or so that have magnification up to 1200x. Would this be enough?

So - I'll leave it for you, the reader to do your own research on Google - you may be surprised.

And my kids may be getting a Microscope for Christmas ;)

No comments: