Thursday 20 November 2008

Cheque this out

I got my final cheque for completing the final blood tests,

That brings it to £250, which really doesn't cover my transport costs, certainly doesn't cover the costs of the time I took off work, and doesn't cover the injustice of multiple stabs of needles.

So final tot up, travel costs, £500, time off work £1,000 (based on my take home pay, not the cost to clients) so a grand total of £1500 minus £250, I am '£1,250' out of pocket.

Basing 11 visits x 5 days without sex, that's 55 days, and at £150 a pop (though as being married I can't actually charge my wife for this) it comes to £8,250, so the true cost of donating is £9,500. I could do a lot with £9,500.

Okay, some minor exaggeration, but really, Sperm Donation in the UK needs a firm overhaul if it is to succeed at any time in the future.

2 comments:

Mark Lyndon said...

You should have been able to charge travel costs and time off work, and something went wrong if this wasn't explained to you. Charging for your missed bonking opportunities isn't allowed though. The only way it would count as a business expense would be if you were a gigolo, and I'm fairly sure that would disqualify you as a donor anyway.

I can't help thinking that the NHS actually wants there to be a shortage of donor sperm. Fertility treatment is very expensive, and it gives them a reason to keep the waiting list long, and hope that people give up or find a friend, or get pregnant by themselves.

Private clinics don't seem to have problems obtaining donor sperm.

Seed Monkey said...

Hi Mark, only the initial £250 was explained :( which is very rude of them I think seeing as they went into detail about everything else.

My clinic is a private one ... I guess they wanted to save every penny. In fairness the person I had the initial meeting with is no longer there so I'll put that down to experience.

If missed bonking opportunities can't be charged for ;-) there should definitely be some kind of compensation - or at least the recommendation of cold showers. Or bromide in the tea.

I think a career as a gigolo has sadly passed me by - if I'd only known as a younger lad perhaps that could have been my direction. Although I must really count my lucky stars that as a youngster not to suffer from alcohol related 'accidents'. That is, at least none that I know of.

In the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn't really matter, and to be honest I'm out of pocket for a number of other reasons associated with the donation cycle but that was my choice to make and I accept it as it is.

The most important thing is that hopefully at least one family will benefit and one child will make it to this world that would have otherwise not been born. That will make everything worth while and my petty moans will be silenced :)