Monday 20 July 2009

Family Sperm Donation History

I learnt something of interest this month regarding a previous history of Sperm Donation in my family.

My late, Great-Uncle was unable to have children with his wife due to problems with her plumbing, and sometime during the 1950's/1960's he decided that he didn't want his genetic line to end and he became a Sperm Donor. As he lived and worked in London I guess that does narrow down the clinics that he may have donated at.

No doubt records may have been may have been long lost a long time ago, and therefore I have no idea whether he ever had any children due to his donations.

I found this out by chance as my mother was discussing my sperm donations with her sister, I guess totting up all the 'extra' grand-children she had gotten, and her sister mentioned this 'hidden' piece of family history.

I am just sorry that he, or his twin-brother (my Grandfather) never got to meet my two lovely, healthy and superb young boys.

If our next child is a girl then we are going to name her after my Great-Uncle, we didn't see him much, but he was always kind towards me and my brother.

1 comment:

Billy said...

That's a really interesting piece of family history!