Friday 7 September 2007

Anonymous or Not Anonymous

My wife and I discussed, if I got to donate, would we tell people? I think we would - and of course tell our Sprogs so they are prepared for the future and they don't find out by an accidental slip of the tongue.

After searching Blogger, there are many blogs from DI Dads (Dads whose children are conceived with the help of a Sperm Donor) whose posts are very touching indeed.

Okay, where do I sit on the Anonymous / Not Anonymous thing. You know, I really sit on the fence on this one, and I think that the mistake that campaigners might be making that the core issue is not the law that's putting people off, it's the perception that being a Sperm Donor is a disgusting, filthy, thing to do.

Being a Sperm Donor involves having a wazz over a dirty mag and splashing the resulting muck into a pot. There we are. That's what people think. What's needed is a way of changing the publics perception, using positive images and stories to show how great donating can be to help others.

Blood Donation got it right with their TV and Poster Campaigning - what's needed is something similar for Sperm and Egg Donations.

No comments: