Sunday 2 September 2007

I will do my best to help others

No, I'm not a Cub Scout, well not any more. But I will do my best to help others, namely those families that aren't. Families that aren't families because they can't have children due to issues with the father's Sperm.

During the 1990's, the number of active donor's was 459. Prior to the removal of Sperm Donor Anonymity in April 2005, there were 250 Donors. Despite the removal of Anonymity, in 2006 this figure actually rose by 15 Donors to a total of 265 active Donors.

There continues to be a crisis in the UK, with a severe shortage of Donor Sperm.

Having a family of our own is the best thing - we have a baby of one year, and another one on the way, due in 2008. What really hit us hard was how tough it must be for couples to go through their lives without the children their every fibre craves.

A high percentage of potential donors are turned down due to unsuitability, due to lifestyle, genetic history, etc.

I will do my best to help others - and document this journey

No comments: